Monday, September 18, 2017

Why I Hate the Slitheen

I really hate the Slitheen. Spoilers. These are not villains that I think have many redeeming qualities at all. I don't love to hate them either. I hate them.
I was reading a meme one time talking about why people should watch the 9th Doctor's season.  They had to put in a special section with the Slitheen apologizing for them and telling the prospective viewers that the existence of these very stupid villains should not chase you away from this often ignored gem of a season.
I agree. I love the Ninth Doctor. Without him, New Who would never have become as popular as it was. But there are some major low points in the season.  Like any new experiment, this season included some serious failures. Unfortunately this one is put into a two part extravaganza. Honestly if this was the first episode of New Who I had seen, I probably would never have wanted to watch the show again.
There are bright spots in this story. Harriet Jones is one of them. Yes, she's corny. Yes, I have a lot to say about her eventual choice to (well spoilers...can't say now), and then she (spoilers here too).  Let's just say she's going to be an important character.  In this first episode, she seems like a very tenacious air head and you might not know what to think of her yet.  I'll discuss more about her in the next episode.  I like strong female characters, especially when they are leaders, so I wish they could have filled out her character a little bit. I'll be talking about her a lot more in the future.
The Doctor is also amazing in this story. I love how in control he is and how quickly he thinks on his feet. I think this is another big reason I hate the Slitheen. This is an episode when you get to see the doctor in his element. He is AMAZING here. He is wonderful without anything really terrific to bounce off of. The trouble is that with how distractingly and badly cartoonish the Slitheen are, it is easy to ignore this.

No comments:

Post a Comment